Friday, July 6, 2007

TGIF

Maybe I am perseverating on toes, I don't know. But I do know that I am glad that it is Friday.

From a quick browse of CNN.com I see that Boeing is getting ready to roll out and present to the public (or at least the media) the first 787 Dreamliner.

For some reason airliners make me giddy. In the 90's I did a lot of travel for work and accumulated my fair share of miles. At that time I got a lot of miles on 737s and end of life 727s and I still remember my first hop in the big 747. I had always been fascinated with planes (the first toy I can clearly remember was a red plastic B-17). And the ability to see a lot of them up close and personal was just a joy.

I'm still fascinated with planes. Late last year I saw my first 777 (at DFW) which made my jaw drop. What a beauty, an AA example in polished aluminum.

And now the Dreamliner. Of course we already know what it will look like with Boeing making public unlimited artwork and simulations. But to see the real thing rolling out of the hanger will be something I can't wait to see.

The only disappointment,... though it represents the next major leap in materials and efficiencies in the aircraft world, I doubt that we will see a barrel roll on it's maiden flight.

No comments: