Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Bread

While I like the 70's soft rock band of the same name, and have even been known to sing their tunes while driving long distances in my car, this post is about the more substantial, soul filling, warm feeling, baked loaf.

Last week I baked two cheater loafs of bread. They almost did not count as they started life as lifeless, frozen pucks which I had to wait several hours for before being able to bake them.

But you know, when they were baking, they really smelled good (or so I have been told - fodder for a post to follow). And, neither one lasted more than a couple of hours, being devoured by the kids and I while still warm and fresh.

It must be getting on towards autumn.

During the summer, fresh bread loses some of its appeal. Well, actually the baking process and hot kitchen makes it less appealing. But as the weather cools down there is nothing like fresh, home baked bread to make you feel all warm inside.

I'm thinking that I need to bake some more this fall. Previous efforts at making bread have resulted in mixed results. I can bake an Onion Lover's Twist that comes out reliably good. This is a recipe that I got from my Mom, who had picked it up from it's origin as a Pillsbury bake Off Winner. This is the ultimate bread for me - warm and tasty plus lots of memories from growing up.

It doesn't get any better than that.

No comments: